Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

Accepting reality and letting go of my parents

AngelinaHolyer

Accepting reality and letting go of my parents Empty Accepting reality and letting go of my parents

Post by AngelinaHolyer Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:45 pm

Hi Richard

I have spent hours over the last 6 months studying your clips and also those of Sam Vaknin.
    Initially, it was for the intention of getting over my ex boyfriend, but I have gradually realized that pretty much all of my significant painful relationships have been with Narcissistic types also.  The most painful thing I have learnt is what it is in me that is drawing me to these relationships and that is my father.  My father has always told me that we have a "special bond" and since reading the book "Silently Seduced" by Kenneth Adams, I have come to realize that my relationship with my father has been emotionally incestuous. He is nearly 80 and I still visit him every week to do his laundry/cleaning etc.  And this is despite always feeling uncomfortable and "icky" around him.

Last week we had a row over what happened in my teenage years where I was emotionally groomed by my fathers business partner when I was 16 which resulted in my running away with this man to live with him, his wife and his children.  I lived with this man (a narcissist) for 5 years looking after his children whilst his wife developed a career, before I developed the wherewithal to run away from him also. During the row my father told me that I need to learn to accept responsibility for the mistakes I made as a child.  He tells me that I cannot blame my mother for my childhood unhappiness when she left my sister and I when I was 4 years old.  He also tells me that I cannot blame my stepmother's cruelty for struggling with my confidence as a teenager and that I cannot blame him for running away with a 40year old married man with no teeth...(true lol)

He tells me that I am a narcissist for not accepting responsibility for my life choices and I have feared this myself.  However, I feel as if I have only started growing up since going through all this. And that maybe I am going through the childhood narcissistic phase that all kids go through in order to develop a sense of self and gain some healthy confidence.  My question is how do I know for sure? I have watch Good Will Hunting and blubbed like a baby but I'm still scared because I have been self obsessed in the last few years.  I am aware that I have difficulty trusting my intuition/instincts.

I also have another question.  How do I let go of my father? I sense that I should do, I have not done his cleaning for nearly 2 weeks and he is very angry.  He is demanding to know what is wrong with me.  He says that if I am not going to come back then to send his key back. I just feel stuck and I can't stop crying. He has always been "daddy" even though my flesh creeps every time I am around him. As I write this I sense that I am asking you for confirmation that letting go of my father is the right thing to do.

I hope this all makes sense.

Angelina

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 12:52 am