Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

2 posters

Critical Thinking

SilverLining

Critical Thinking Empty Critical Thinking

Post by SilverLining Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Professor Kevin deLaplante has a great YouTube series on logical fallacies at this link:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL48296651F7CF74CB

They are excellent if you are dealing with a manipulative cluster B or just someone with strong Narcissistic traits. I start to feel absolutely crazed by their comments, arguments, accusations, projections, gas lighting, reframing, emotional dysregulation, reaction-seeking etc etc.....all the BS they throw out in response to my efforts to remain reality based, logical and rational. Richard, after listening several times to your Critical Thinking video, I started researching logical fallacies and cognitive biases. This information helped me identify all the bizarre and irrational statements and thought processes of the Cluster B folks I may deal with in a way that allows me to see what their game is and counter it (at least in my mind) with sound academic logic. It's like wearing night vision goggles when the enemy always attacks in the dark and I am left flapping around and becoming emotionally dysregulated because I don't see the blows coming. Understanding and applying the tools of formal logic allows me to remain in control...I know I won't win any arguments with the NPD or Cluster B, because they don't care about logic or rationality, but it allows me to remain objective and not be triggered and lose my shit...much, much better outcome when I'm forced into an interaction with this type of person at work, family event...whatever. Good stuff to know for anyone out there feeling like their brain is melting and they can't figure out why every encounter leaves them is a state of emotional dysregulation or paralyzed with helplessness.

Lord Of The House Of Ash
    Lord Of The House Of Ash

Critical Thinking Empty Re: Critical Thinking

Post by Lord Of The House Of Ash Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:14 pm

Hey Dude or Dudette,

Interesting points. I'm currently doing my honour's thesis right now, and there was one guy in one of my classes who certainly displayed traits of NPD. In short, the dude was incapable of actually finishing his thesis. From what I'm aware of now, he's quit. Basically, he couldn't take a criticism to his ideas (one of the key parts about writing a thesis is acknowledging that the very first topic you want to write about will not be the topic you will end up writing your thesis on.)

That being said, from what I remember about the current evidence out here, academica has a high rate of NPDs (social prestige). That, and their philosophy also fits in with a post modern, 'no such thing as reality' vibe. However, there would also be heaps of 'em that would be able to use evidence efficiently e.g. Sam Vaknin is a good example!
    SilverLining

Post by SilverLining Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:16 am

Interesting perspective...thanks for sharing that and good luck with your masters thesis.
    Evidence based and rational evaluation of facts, whether or not they support one's beliefs...whether or not they "feel" right ...is absolutely not valued by NPDs or Cluster Bs who invent their own reality and try to suck you into the vortex of their surreal alternate reality. The tools of critical thinking and logical analysis of an argument are essential weapons in the battle for sanity and a rational world view that validates perception and experience in a functional, pragmatic manner. You may be right about Sam Vaknin...his self awareness is one thing that makes him very unique in the world of the Cluster B.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 4:32 pm