Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

2 posters

Narcissist Abuse - To hide or share?

ScouseBitch

Narcissist Abuse - To hide or share? Empty Narcissist Abuse - To hide or share?

Post by ScouseBitch Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:38 pm

Dear All,

I have suffered all my life from narcissistic abuse by my mother and enabling father. I am the scapegoat of the family and they have ostracised me these past few years. I feel so alone and painfully rejected. There are only a few people I trust and have discussed this with and my question is - do I confidently tell people I no longer have contact with my family? I feel a sense of shame and embarrassment that I have a dysfunctional family, but also have this bizarre sense of respect and loyalty to them. I feel like I am starting to be more of my authentic self, I do not want to live a lie, so why am I continuing their legacy of fear and manipulation? Should we hide our parents narcissistics behaviour or expose them to the real world? Any advice much appreciated.
    HadEnough
    HadEnough

Narcissist Abuse - To hide or share? Empty Re: Narcissist Abuse - To hide or share?

Post by HadEnough Mon May 23, 2016 5:38 pm

I'm sorry this happened to you.
    I have a similar story. I have limited contact with my dad. My mom died when I was 12. They are (were) both alcoholics. My dad has narcissistic traits.

Recently a coworker asked about my dad and what I was doing for fathers day for him. I told her probably nothing. She asked why. I BRIEFLY explained. She replied with " You only have one dad, you should make up with him!"

This through me into an emotional flashback. I wanted to scream!

But I did not.

I had to realize that people who have not lived through what we have are just not going to get it.

If I were you I would not tell people that you are no longer in contact. Maybe something like "We don't get together much."

I'm still fumbling around with this myself, but I have found this response effective enough. Maybe once I get stronger I more accurate response could be told.

Best wishes.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:35 am