Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

3 posters

Ego Revenge

Undisclosed87

Ego Revenge Empty Ego Revenge

Post by Undisclosed87 Sat May 09, 2015 7:59 pm

I am curious about egos and the need for revenge? Is that true narcissism or maybe response to repeated abuse from Narcs and Borderlines in an uncontrolled rage?

When provoked, many people can go over the edge to focus and concentrate on retribution. It is unhealthy, yes, but a provoked response.

"Fathers provoke not thy children to anger"
    gigiminer
    gigiminer

Ego Revenge Empty ego

Post by gigiminer Sun May 10, 2015 10:31 am

While this is an overly simplistic idea, maybe this will help just a tad: ego vs self esteem

Revenge, imho, is when the ego is harmed and is looking to retaliate for the blow. Yes, I can see if one has been harmed repeatedly and there is a rubber band effect in how it snaps back. That's a natural survival response, while revenge is usually because of holding onto the hurt and feeling embarrassed. I've been put on the "get back at you for that" list over and over and once was because I threw a surprise party. I didn't understand why that was a retaliatory issue, but I think it had to do with being able to do something "behind their back".

If you're the one thinking about revenge, I think it's natural. We want to hurt those who've hurt us. But it will mostly hurt you. I won't tell you "don't feel that way" as that's silly advise. But consider being the better person and in that being the winner of the situation.

If you're the recipient - I feel for you. Some people need a target in their lives. I knew someone who used to say "if they're talking about you, they're giving someone else a break". Not the most comforting statement, but maybe just a little bit of a more positive spin.

Ok...so I can't see your post in this reply window - thus if I've gone off on a tangent on you, my apologies. Smile
    Undisclosed87

Ego Revenge Empty Re: Ego Revenge

Post by Undisclosed87 Sun May 10, 2015 5:32 pm

I'm ok. I am not emotionally drained by it. Ironically enough, I have found I am more resilient than I thought because I've lived with it with my parents...They act like children. It's like kindergarten never closes.

I consider revenge a "waste of time". I just don't like giving these people opportunities to steal my attention away from what I am doing. Smile
    undermilkweed

Ego Revenge Empty Rubber Band effect

Post by undermilkweed Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:17 pm

Just curious, my sibling who I suspect is a narc (or at the very least I have experienced those traits in her),  I heard her say this not too long ago, "I am rubber, you are glue, it bounces off of me, and sticks to you".  The problem is...it's her shit she bounces off herself onto others and I have been one.  Any thoughts on this?  I think I have been on the receiving end of her projections in ways I never realized.

Sponsored content

Ego Revenge Empty Re: Ego Revenge

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am