Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

5 posters

The hell of the freeze trauma response

trueself1
    trueself1

The hell of the freeze trauma response Empty The hell of the freeze trauma response

Post by trueself1 Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:59 pm

I started finding more info about the 4 types of trauma responses, fight, flight, freeze, and fawn. I was reading that freeze is the
    most primitive response and the most difficult to treat. I tend toward this response more than all the others and worry I will end
    up a hikikomori lol! A phenomenon in Japan where kids are becoming complete recluses.
    jazzycat
    jazzycat

The hell of the freeze trauma response Empty Re: The hell of the freeze trauma response

Post by jazzycat Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:42 am

I haven't read the book yet, but I think I'm more prone to fight.  I took martial arts and was a bodybuilder, and I've always been very direct.  So if someone challenges me, I generally challenge back.  The only time I can think when this might not be is true is if someone is highly intimidating to me (and it's very hard to intimidate me).  Then, I'm thinking, maybe I fawn.  (I'm also highly codependent, something I only just recently realized, when reading back through all my journals over the past 3 decades.)

ftr, I'm pretty much a complete recluse now as well.  So I feel for you.  In my case, I'm afraid to subject other people to me and my f***ed up behavior, that I got in my lovely relationship with my ex.
    gigiminer
    gigiminer

The hell of the freeze trauma response Empty Re: The hell of the freeze trauma response

Post by gigiminer Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:58 pm

Yes, I freeze or fly depending on the situation. Fight's my last response, but it does happen on rare occasions.

As an INFJ, I think for me the recluse life isn't that bad. Yes, I miss being able to speak to another human being, but given how well that went over the last 50+ years, I think I'll stick to my cats (or myself Very Happy ). Being an introvert makes it easier. For the extroverted it has to be really tough. If I can get upset as much as I do by being isolated, I can only imagine how much that stings for everyone else.
    jazzycat
    jazzycat

Post by jazzycat Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:14 am

I actually went out with friends the last two days. It was fine (the close ones know what's going on). So yay me! I'm proud of myself. I'm trying to get more involved in local things, like the community gardens and the local artist scene (I'm helping them plan an event). It's been good for me so far, and hopefully I can add something for them by being of service. Smile
    gigiminer
    gigiminer

Post by gigiminer Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am

jazzycat wrote:I actually went out with friends the last two days.  It was fine (the close ones know what's going on).  So yay me!  I'm proud of myself.  I'm trying to get more involved in local things, like the community gardens and the local artist scene (I'm helping them plan an event).  It's been good for me so far, and hopefully I can add something for them by being of service.  Smile

That's great, jazzycat. Having something outside the situation must be like cool water in a desert. cheers
    dragongaurd
    dragongaurd

Post by dragongaurd Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:49 pm

I freeze also, My head is there but my body checks out.
    Leyla Loric
    Leyla Loric

Post by Leyla Loric Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:18 am

Hi everyone,

I also use the freeze trauma response, and it can be quite frustrating.

This video describes the freeze response and what I need to do to overcome it.

Hope you find it helpful!

dragongaurd
    dragongaurd

Post by dragongaurd Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:34 am

I wanted to ask a question, Because I was wondering it had anything to do with disassociation, and whether others might have experience in it also, I am a very figity person, I feel like I need to always be doing something with my hands, I'd be playing my hair or my sons, I'll be rubbing my little nephews feet for him because he likes it but also I know it's because it keeps my hands busy, if I dont do that I prob would pick at my nails. My question is, would this be in some way linked to the disassociation. Or something else. I've knitted and crochet and whatever, I thought maybe I am always needing some type of stimulous or distraction. Sorry if this is confusing.
    gigiminer
    gigiminer

Post by gigiminer Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:03 pm

dragongaurd - if I remember correctly, that's part of the flight response. Tho' I'd guess dissociation might play a part in it. Your body trying to run away (flight) and distance itself via action (dissociation) sounds pretty likely.

I know that when I start moving too quickly, trying to do, I have to catch myself and stop and ask "why am I doing this?"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:22 am