Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Richard Grannon Spartan Life Coach

Richard Grannon The Spartan Life Coach Narcissism Support

5 posters

Movies about ptsd

ss

Movies about ptsd Empty Movies about ptsd

Post by ss Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 pm

I recently watched this film Whiplash and found it quite triggering for emotional flashbacks, but its also art, and well....
    Its about a ptsd student / narcissist teacher hxc relationship.

There could be a movie section in this forum if you like...
    I really liked for example Good Will Hunting that Richard suggested in his videos and would be interested to check more films out.
    Sia
    Sia

Movies about ptsd Empty The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Post by Sia Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDQDwoFe6Ko

Not directly related to PTSD though more cognitive distortion. Neutral
    wepnode
    wepnode

Movies about ptsd Empty Re: Movies about ptsd

Post by wepnode Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:13 pm

Sleeping With the Enemy works for me.
    Lord Of The House Of Ash
    Lord Of The House Of Ash

Post by Lord Of The House Of Ash Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm

Ah! Films! I'm at home!

I can only name a few films off the top of my head that deal with PTSD: Jacob's Ladder, The Deer Hunter, Rambo and American Sniper. All deal with the common narrative: solider goes to war, soldier comes back from war and has PTSD.

I'm currently watching Jessica Jones with my girlfriend. Jessica, the protagonist, has PTSD as a result of being in a psychologically abusive relationship. Probably the only show/movie that comes to mind that deals with PTSD manifesting from an abusive relationship.

I personally couldn't get through Whiplash for the same reasons. From the small section I've watched it is pretty intelligent of its depiction of codependency: the young kid learns his codependent behavior form his father (the scene in the movie theater where the father gets hit in the head with popcorn and apologies to the other person). So, would like to watch it, but some time in the future me thinks!

On the depiction of narcissists, the best representations of NPD in cinema/television I've seen are (in no particular order): Whiplash, Sexy Beast and Luther. I'd also mention Black Mass and American Psycho (AP being better than BM from memory). I'd also have to mention one of my fav films of all time, Shame (2011) as being a great depiction of codependency and BPD (I think).

Sorry for the long post. Love films and felt the need to share Smile

Last edited by Lord Of The House Of Ash on Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarity)
    daisy4

Post by daisy4 Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am

'the time travellers wife'  was a good one for me.  all about a guy having emotional flashbacks that are represented as time travel.  all while he is trying to have a relationship with his wife and child.  

I also thought 'what dreams may come' with robin Williams was interesting.  not because I agreed with it though.  because the movie shows him going all out to 'rescue' his wife from depression.  but I don't think we rescue others from depression, we just show compassion for them and let them find their way.

also 'girl on a train'. cptsd from npd major gaslighting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:41 pm